MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - Dean Jewson

Good evening all,

This is a really good one.

Bought an MG4 2 weeks ago brand new, with Cash and had it registered with my Personal Reg which was on retention.

Now 2 weeks later I have rejected the car due to multiple issues.

I took the car back this week, only to now be told that they cant refund me due to the Car showing Outstanding finance, even though they openly admit that I paid cash for the car 2 weeks ago via their card machine.

It would appear now from checking the information with them that my VRM had a finance agreement put against it by Santander in Dec 2020.

I originally bough the Plate from DVLA in March 2020 and it was put onto my then Vehicle which I bought in Feb 2020 from Audi Main Dealer, also Cash purchase.

The plate was removed from this vehicle March 2021 and put onto retention pending my selling the Audi.

The plate has never been on a car that has had any finance against it since buying from the DVLA.

As per above the current outstanding finance was apparently taken out against my reg mid way though my still owning the Audi which was paid for in full by me.

So it would seem that My reg has had a finance marker against it since 2020 but I was blissfully unaware of this until now.

So at the minute I have rejected my MG4 to the dealer as I am still within my 30 day Short term rejection period, but now have no car and no money.... to the tune of £27,000 !!

They have spoken to Santander as have I, we have both been told that they will look into this but will not give any indication of how long this will take !

When I asked give me a ball park...

a day ?, a week ?, a month ?, 6 month ?

They said it would be definitely longer than a week.

Thankfully the dealer has offered me a loaner as I need a car for my Job or I'll lose that as well !!

Has anyone any advise on how to proceed with this ?

I've done nothing wrong here.

We're guessing that someone out there took out a finance agreement on another vehicle and the dealer put the wrong Reg in on the agreement form. (maybe 1 letter or number out)

But why haven't Santander Picked up on the fact that they have lent money against a VRM that cant have matched the Make and model of the actual financed car.

If they had run a check on my Reg they would have seen it was a black Audi SQ5 at the time not whatever the financer had bought !

They have said they need to speak to the original selling dealer (if they are still trading that is)

Then they need to speak to the person that signed the agreement before they can remove the marker against my Reg, even though now they have a 2 year old agreement against a 2 week old brand new vehicle, that they are now showing a financial interest in !

At our end now we are hoping that as we have removed my Reg from the car and given it a new reg, once the new 72 plate reg gets into the system this week that the car will show clean again and they can refund me.

so long as the finance doesn't transfer to the new reg, Which Santander won't have.

Which is the main factor here, as I need to buy another car, but I obviously still need the Finance removing from my plate so I can again assign it to my next car.

What a complete mess !!

Surely someone must be accountable for this screw up, it has caused stress like you wouldn't believe this week.

No car, No money and no idea when it will be sorted.

Seriously considering going to the FCA or the like with this as it is so badly managed by Santander, they should be Financing the VIN not the VRM.

Plates can and are changed across vehicles all the time, the finance should not be following it !

Thanks

Dean

Edited by Dean Jewson on 26/11/2022 at 22:13

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - Adampr

I have no advice, but you certainly have my sympathy. Could something have been cloned?

I think you're right that, hopefully, the immediate issue will disappear once the MG is back on a 72 plate.

I have no idea... it did cross my mind maybe.

But my Reg has been on 4 cars since the Audi in 2020.

Was taken off and assigned to my MG ZS EV in April 2021

Then removed again in September this year and put onto my first MG4 by an official MG dealer on the 8th October paid cash for this one too

This was sadly rejected too due to faults, hoping I'd gotten a lemon I bought this current one which too has the same faults hence the 2nd rejection (and lesson learned too !)

The 1st MG4 was refunded without any issue by the first dealer, which was why this came as such a shock on the second one.

When I questioned it with the current dealer with the 2nd car, he said all I can say is I'm doing my job checking for Outstanding finance just in case and obviously the 1st dealer didn't. (but I will say the first job he did was to remove my plate before anything, where as this one did the check on my plate which was coming off anyway)

Even though we know you paid cash, our process is to check that you haven't left here and then taken out any finance after leaving.

And even though he can see its from 2020, so its obviously wrong.

They will currently be unable to resell the MG4 with finance too as it still has some showing on it.

Which I also understand this isn't their fault either.

As I say thankfully I have a loan car from them, though I imagine they wont let me drive it forever and will also want to sort the MG4 and sell it on asap.

Fingers crossed for the new VRM sorting it for now and I'll cross my plate when Santander decide to sort it.

I did say to them yesterday that I was going to go buy a Ferrari on finance with them, with my plate on it, then sell the plate on and whichever poor B....rd bought the plate would be liable for the repossession after I stop paying.

He laughed... I didn't !!

Its a joke that finance markers are by VRM.

Talk about a get out for someone.

Edited by Dean Jewson on 26/11/2022 at 22:34

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - daveyK_UK
What was wrong with the MG4 EV?

Interestingly, one of the test drive presenters on you tube reviewing a MG4 mentioned the car contained a lot of new tech and it was unproven.

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - bathtub tom

Good luck with Santander. I've largely ditched them after over fifty years (remember Girobank?)

@daveyK_UK

Jesus where do you want me to start.

Both were the same issues.

Oil leak from the transfer box - almost all MG4 are having this issue

Oil All over my drive

Seat comfort in base, hog ring issue

Confirmed by MG techs

Heating not consistent

Sometimes you have to crank it right up to feel any

App issues

Not connecting

Undertray bulging and hanging down

Common on almost all cars

Vibrations at 50-70 mph

Looking like wheels aren't balanced from factory now according to some new owners

Bluetooth dropping out

One ring and call cuts off

Screen blanking out

Needs resetting each time

Light sensor doesn't work right

Constant flicking from white to grey in main screen

Lane Keep Assist is downright dangerous

Pulls wheel from your hands and throws you around in the lane.

Hill Hold assist fails constantly

Adaptive Cruise Control fails regularly when starting the car up requiring a shut down to be able to use.

Android auto still showing pre release equipment not for sale message

Driver screen rattling and vibrating

Cabin preheat doesn't always work from the app, if connected to the charger still it fails.

This list goes on with other owners too

Cars failing to lock or unlock (with people stuck inside)

Stacks of software issues

No over the air updates even though its supposed to be a feature

Cars bricked on dealers lifts during updates.

I know of at least 10 in the MGEVs group that have rejected and I've done 2 myself.

Edited by Dean Jewson on 26/11/2022 at 22:43

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - daveyK_UK
More Chinese landfill
MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - Adampr

That doesn't sound good! Obviously they're cranking them out and not really bothering with quality control.

It's a bit of a shame because they've obviously (being polite here) made a very good PR effort with the motoring press and haven't been able to back it up with the product.

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - Maxime.

Didn't 2 other people on here have issues with ZS s.. one with rust and the other with fairy light warnings?

We were thinking odf an mg4 but will wait and see.

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - badbusdriver

Didn't 2 other people on here have issues with ZS s.. one with rust and the other with fairy light warnings?

We were thinking odf an mg4 but will wait and see.

ORB had one for a while, can't remember what the problem or problems were with his ZS, but there was definitely one other thread concerning someone who had rust visible in various places on their nearly new ZS. Have to say though I have a customer with a ZS 1.5 petrol, he has had it for a couple of years now (I think) and has nothing bad to say about it.

But a quite alarming list of problems with the OP's MG4. Video reviews and tests I've watched on YT seem to all be very positive. certainly once the price relative to other EV's has been taken into account. But the OP's experience shows that it would be wise for someone considering an MG4 to hold back 6 months or more to see how others are finding the car and what, if anything, is being done by MG to sort out teething troubles.

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - pd

MG 4 seems to have a lot of positive aspects but need to watch they don't get a reputation for dodgy quality.

Still, I suppose they could argue oil all over the driveway is a very old MG "brand value" ??

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - Xileno

"ORB has one for a while"

And here is his review on the site: www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/mg/zs-2017/?rev...d

MG 4 EV - Finance showing against VRM - but no Finance had - groaver

Ouch!

That is some list of problems.

It would be interesting to see a long-term review of the car by the motoring press.

I would not want to buy one of these until it has been on the market for a few years with reliability confirmed by the press and owners alike.