Used Car Under £4k - Shilts

Just looking for a bit of advice on my next car please...I hope this doesn't get lengthy...apologies if it does!

Budget = £4k

Must be automatic (I can drive manuals and have one now but want an auto)

Comfort/luxury is important

Definitely not interested in a small car (no Fiesta's, Corsa's, Micra's etc)

I would love a Jag (after a bit of research I'd be looking at an XF I think and it seems it would be a very good idea to avoid an X-type because of the quality/faultsbut happy to listen to your thoughts) or a Merc (I had a C180 Kompressor Sport a good few years ago and it was great but at the time the fuel costs were an issue) - one of my concerns for getting a Jag I've never owned one and I don't have bottomless pockets so upkeep is a slight concern. I was lucky with the Merc as I had no major issues with it.

My situation now is that I'm not doing much mileage so MPG isn't a big deal but still happy to consider a diesel as it will have a decent run every now and again.

Insurance costs aren't a concern. I'm at an age now where I could probably drive anything for a decent enough cost.

Speaking of age, I'm at the point, for the first time in donkeys years, where the kids aren't bleeding us dry so if there was ever a time to treat myself with a car I could never have previously afforded then now is the time (I'm not prepared to get a car on finance though so my purchase budget is strict give or take a couple of hundred pounds).

Like I said, I'd love a bit of luxury, either slow or fast is fine (but if I was pushed I'd choose a car with a bit of umph). Either diesel or petrol, it matters not.

Definitely don't want a convertible or an estate and nothing too 'low' (and by this I mean...I currently have a Hyundai Coupe SIII and well, it's not for me. I don't like the very low seating position for one...I could go on but it's not really relevant).

I think that's about it for now. I've probably forgotten some things but please feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help/guidance - I've had cars for decades and always bought pretty safe cars (Mondeo's, Focus's, Fiesta's) that have never cost me the earth. Now things have changed a bit so I have more scope for a really nice car.

Oh, nearly forgot....I drove a Vauxhall Antara the other week and really liked it!!! Not a Jag or Merc obviously but what it means is, I'm open to suggestions. If you'd suggested an Antara before I'd driven one I probably would've been pretty dismissive.

Anyway, apologies for the waffling, just trying to give you as complete a picture as possible.

Used Car Under £4k - nellyjak

With your budget I'd forget anything that carries a "prestige" badge.

If it must be an auto then try to stick to a TC box and not one of the automated manuals.

I'd still stick with petrol and look at Japanese vehicles for reliability.

No doubt peeps will be along to give you more specific choices/info.

Used Car Under £4k - Adampr

If you want something luxurious but cheap, probably look for a Lexus IS or possibly GS being sold privately.

Used Car Under £4k - _

Budget = £4k. Must be automatic . Comfort/luxury is important

Don't even think of an XF at £4000.

VED costs, servicing costs and deep deep pockets for all those big expensive little jobs.

something like this honda, depending on where you are?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303175358079?j...a

Used Car Under £4k - elekie&a/c doctor
Honda Accord is a good buy , but this one I think is £365 pa ved .
Used Car Under £4k - badbusdriver

With such a small budget (for the current market) I'd strongly suggest forgetting about any notion of luxury. Comfort is fine, but luxury means posh brands, which in turn means higher running costs(*) which appears to also be a no no. It also means an older car, probably with higher mileage and more previous owners.

*Which doesn't just entail MPG, it is also the price for servicing and repair costs. So while a diesel may appear to be a better choice, it seldom is for the budget buyer.

I'd be looking at something along the lines of this 2 owner Toyota Avensis on Autotrader:

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, much appreciated.

I know you're absolutely correct right with what you're saying about prestige/luxury motors and I know that I'll be always concerned about a massive bill but I would still be interested in thoughts about annual costs for those luxury cars, for example, please see the links below:

www.mansfieldautoexchange.co.uk/used/jaguar/xf/27d.../

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305107225953?a...a

www.motors.co.uk/car-67121056/?i=62&m=sr

www.rg-motors.net/used/bmw/5-series/530d-se-blue-4...4

It is highly likely I will end up getting something that won't have me panicking at every knock or bang but I just want to make sure that there isn't an option that's worth a punt.

Thanks for the recommended vehicles - the Honda Accord is an import and therefore a bit of a nightmare to insure (I used to work in insurance), the Avensis is nice and in years past I would've been up for buying it but I'm hoping for something else....perhaps it's not there but that's partially why I'm on here :)

Forgot to mention, I'm in Yorkshire so if you see anything more than around an hour's drive I'd probably give it a miss.

Thanks again

Used Car Under £4k - _

At the risk of being blunt,

Instead of buying ANY of the Jaguars shown, take the £3500-£4000, put it in a metal bucket and set fire to it.

The result will be the same !!!

(From an ex Jaguar parts manager.

Others might comment on the BMW, but the 6 cyl engines are way better than the 2.7 jaguars

Just consider 1 major fault on ANY of your choices and you will lose every last penny you have paid.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

You'll be hard pushed to offend me and I prefer straight talking anyway, say what you like, how you like, it's fine.

So, no Jags. I'll need bottomless pockets.

Are you applying the same to Mercs and BMW's?

I would be interested to know cost comparisons for, for example, replacing perishables on say a Mondeo versus a Merc/Jag/BMW just so I know what we're talking and whether it's something I'd be happy with.

Major faults would be interesting too.

Used Car Under £4k - Andrew-T

So, no Jags. I'll need bottomless pockets.

One of your near neighbours used to own two .... :-)

It is your money and if you want to take a punt on any of your links, that is up to you.

Doubtful anyone on here would suggest any of them would be a wise choice for someone on a budget though. If I was looking for a reliable, comfy and (relatively) cheap to run car, I wouldn't go anywhere near any of them............!

Running costs?, how long is a bit of string?. If nothing goes wrong, that is easy enough to work out. But if something goes wrong on a large turbo diesel engine in a prestige brand, you'll need very deep pockets.

Remember, they may be cheap to buy, but the running costs are as it would be new, that is to say they will be in line with a £40(+)k car rather than a £4k one.

And BTW, Yorkshire is a big county, I'm pretty sure it would take more than an hour to drive across it. So saying you are in Yorkshire isn't that much help in locating possible buys within an hour from you.

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/05/2023 at 19:53

I said within an hour of Yorkshire - ie I would travel within an hour of the entire county not where I am and yes, it's the biggest county in England

Re: running costs - apologies for not being specific.

Typical running costs.

To include those repairs that are made regularly/annually and not including, for example, a cambelt

The only worse choice than a second hand Jag would be a second hand diesel Jag. Literally any other car would have less chance of breaking down.

I know I already said Lexus. I don't disagree with the suggestion of a Honda Accord either. Plenty of UK cars if the import worries you.

If you really want a comfy barge, you might just be able to find a Skoda Superb.

It isn't possible to buy something luxurious and cheap to run for £4k. You need to compromise on one of the three.

Used Car Under £4k - Oli rag

Something like this might suit.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305087150928?advertising-location=at_cars&atmobcid=soc5&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&fromsra&fuel-type=Petrol&include-delivery-option=on&make=Lexus&maximum-mileage=125000&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&year-from=2007

Looks good, thanks

Used Car Under £4k - SLO76
I wouldn’t recommend a modern prestige brand diesel to my worst enemy at this money, it would almost certainly be a complete money pit. The three words to remember when looking for a cheap second hand car are ‘keep it simple.’ No turbos, no diesels, no prestige or sports cars. Stick with simple but well made mass market Japanese models and you stand a good chance of finding something robust with life left in it.

I’d forget the Jags, the 2.7 in particular has an appalling reputation for costly problems. Instead I’d stick with petrol (though I did find a worthy diesel Mondeo) and I’d reign in your ambitions a bit, you can’t afford a luxury car. Though the Lexus IS250 above is certainly worth a view, these are very good cars as long as you avoid the fragile 2.2 diesels.

Here’s a few I spotted, but I obviously haven’t cast eyes on them in the metal nor have I looked up their Mot histories.

Pre Powershift Mondeo auto with the normally robust PSA 2.0 diesel. Great to drive, decent on fuel, comfy, practical and affordable to maintain.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202301253603439

Honda Accord. Nice colour and spec and the chain driven 2.0 VTEC motor will run and run if looked after. At this age you’ll need to get under it to check for rot, it’s the only thing that ultimately kills these. If it’s solid it could be a great option.
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304276759587

Possibly the worlds most indestructible car, the Toyota Camry is utterly bombproof and this one looks in good order. Again rust is the killer so you need to get under it and scrutinise the Mot history. Parts can be an issue for these over here as the unjustly didn’t sell well so there’s little to no aftermarket coverage. A bit modern retro.
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305057068135

Edited by SLO76 on 21/05/2023 at 01:25

That Camry looks a great shout.

Used Car Under £4k - nellyjak

I agree...I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I needed to.

Great cars, long lived and reliable with a decent touch of luxury.

I agree...I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I needed to.

Great cars, long lived and reliable with a decent touch of luxury.

Couldn't agree more, and note the tyre size of 215/60 x 16! (much more appropriate for the UK's pot-holed roads). Not keen on the colour, but very few of these around to choose from.

Speaking of tyres, I was most impressed that the Accord was sitting on a matching set of nearly new looking Dunlop's. That to me, on an 18 year old car, is as sure a sign as anything that it has never wanted for anything. It is also on tyres with a decent depth of sidewall, and the actual tyre size (195/65 x 15) means there is no excuse for choosing cheapo's, as even quality tyres are not going to be that dear.

Used Car Under £4k - JonestHon

I'd steer you towards the Lexus IS250 in suto.

I had similar requirements for a car three years ago and aquired a low miles 2007 example.

I am not looking back, never had any issues with it and it is comfortable.

I do about 400 miles monthly and intend on keeping it fir another 15 years max.

Used Car Under £4k - _

I'd steer you towards the Lexus IS250 in suto.

Ditto.

Used Car Under £4k - pd

Some good suggestions already made.

I can also think of stuff like a Mondeo Titanium 2.0 diesel auto (not the Powershift but an earlier one with 6 speed auto). I wouldn't totally rule out a 508 or C5 2.0 auto either if you spot one, very underrated cars. I'd avoid the Insignia.

I wouldn't actually rule out a decent C Class if you can find one particularly if it uses the older 5-speed gearbox which is pretty reliable.

A £4k BMW you might find the bargain of the year or more likely you might find a total dog. Chances are at £4k it'll be a dog.

Just remember today's £4k car is 2019's £2500 car so be realistic you are buying at the banger end of the market.

Used Car Under £4k - Alternator

Lexus IS250 SE-I, Honda Legend EX?

Edited by Alternator on 21/05/2023 at 23:18

Used Car Under £4k - Koki66

Based on your preferences and budget, the two best options to consider are the Jaguar XF and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class. Both cars offer luxury and comfort, with the Jaguar XF providing a refined driving experience and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class known for its upscale features. Be sure to thoroughly inspect and research both options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

Additionally, consider the Audi A4, which offers a stylish design and a refined interior. Older models with documented service histories may be available within your budget. Carmax can be a good option for purchasing used cars, as they have a wide range of vehicles and are known for their quality, excellent service and return policy. However, ensure to thoroughly inspect any used car, check its history report, and take it for a test drive before making a purchase. Also, consider factors such as maintenance costs, potential repairs, and insurance premiums when selecting a luxury car.